Your Guide to Healthy Eating : Portion Control
We have all heard the USDA report that we need to eat 5 to 10 servings of fruit and vegetables each day.
This is really confusing because that sounds like a whole lot of food.
Exactly what is a serving?
A serving of fruit or vegetable may be:
- A medium sized piece of fruit
- One large slice of fruit
- Two pieces of small fruit
- 1 cup strawberries, raspberries or grapes
- ½ cup of fresh fruit salad
- ½ cup of stewed or canned fruit
- ¼ cup of dried fruit
- ½ cup of 100% pure fruit juice
- ½ cup of cooked, canned or frozen vegetables
- 1 side salad
Unlike other foods, the more the better when it comes to eating fruits and vegetables.
Be sure to include as many servings of fruits and vegetables as you can when planning your meals.